Today I was upgrading Vcenter 5.5 to 6.01 and face the below error during pre upgrade check .
The system name in the vCenter Server 5.5 SSL certificate and the vCenter Single Sign-On 5.5 SSL certificates are not compatible. Please replace either the vCenter Server SSL certificates or the vCenter Single Sign-On SSL certificates so both vCenter Server and vCenter Single Sign-On SSL certificates use the same system name.
The resolution that I followed was as below
Re-installing the vCenter Server stack
- Completely uninstall in this order:vCenter Server
vCenter Inventory Service
vSphere Web Client
vCenter Single Sign-On
- Rename the following directories underC:\ProgramData\VMware to ensure new certificates are generated using the correct hostname.
- CISto old
- Infrastructureto old
- SSLto old
- VMware VirtualCenterto VMware VirtualCenter.old
- vSphere Web Clientto vSphere Web Client.old
- Re-install vCenter Single Sign-On, vSphere Web Client, vCenter Inventory Service, and vCenter Service, and ensure to reconnect to existing database.
- Reconnect all of the hosts to the vCenter Server.
- After completing, attempt to upgrade the vCenter Server 5.x to 6.0.